Thursday, November 19, 2015

SALMON AND MASHED POTATO CAKES

Hey - looks I've gone from a furniture makeover blog to a food one - look out Rachel Ray LMHO !!!

Truth is I haven't had much time lately to work on furniture - but I DO happen to have to cook - often.
This used to be something one of my Grandmothers made ( Estelle - not Helen ! You can get to know them HERE )

Another quick recipe ( notice most of my recipes are quick? ) and a great way to used left over potatoes.

What you need :


1 tin of salmon ( red sockeye ) I have no idea why I pulled out 2 tins in the pic - it only takes one !
bread crumbs
1 cup and a half of mashed potatoes
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup flour
1/2 small onion ( or shallots or green onion which I normally use but was out of )
pepper

Clean the salmon - removing all bones and combine in a bowl with the mashed potatoes


add your flour


and pepper


Add beaten egg and mix all together thoroughly ( I've been known to add a few chilli flakes in as well )
and form patties - placing them on a wax paper lined baking sheet



and then bread them - I find it easiest to sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top ( since these are quite soft )
and then carefully flip them with a spatula to do the other side.


Here's the thickness of each patty


and then fry them in either a little crisco - or for really decadent ones - a little butter


a few minutes on each side and serve them - with anything other than potatoes lol


Suzan says - OMG - aren't they great?
John says - They're ok
Suzan says - really?  I love them !
John says - I think a tin of salmon is meant to be put in sandwiches...............

I think it's time he learns to cook...............don't you?


Please don't take his word for it - they really are delicious ( if you like salmon - that's really really important - you have to like salmon lol )

Have a wonderful day everyone -
I'm going to be spending mine with baby blue !


Hugs,
me


LOOKING FOR INSPIRATION?
JOIN ME AT THESE FABULOUS PARTIES !


12 comments:

  1. Sounds good except for the pepper and chili flakes! How about some dill?

    Hugs ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. love salmon cakes and definitely going to try this~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmn, these look really good. I have baked a mixture like this from diced raw fish (cod/salmon) and mashed potatoes. When they are on the foil, I just spray them and then bake at 350 for about 1/2 hour or more. My family loves them with cream peas sometimes with onion. Wonderful meal for a cold night. Thanks, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be all over that, Suzan. It looks delicious. Sweet, sweet baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhh have fun with the baby. Adorable. I am not a big salmon fan but these look pretty delicious I might have to give this recipe a try. Hugs to that sweet little baby.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzan,
    The recipe looks good but not as good as that beautiful baby. So adoreable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Diane - nothing I could make could be as perfect as him LOL - thanks SO much - I have a huge smile on my face right now - spending the day with him tomorrow - can't wait !
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Yummy! I don't make them a lot and mine don't sound as yummy as your recipe. I will give your version a go. Dave likes a sauce with his cakes, or a relish. The relish on the side is quite popular here. Isn't Evan so precious?! 😊. Yes he is! Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are yummy Patty !
      But not as much as Evan lol
      I melt.............
      Thanks SO much
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. Hi, Suzan,
    Oh I love Salmon! I'm gonna make these! They sound just yummy! My two faves--salmon and mashers!
    Oooh that Baby Evan is so cute in his Teddy Bear ears! That is a darling photo! I'm so happy he can relieve your aching heart! That is such a blessing!
    Take good care, and hug and kiss precious Evan for me, please!
    Lotsa love,
    Laura/Hazel/Ethel/Fred's wife! HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love potatoes and salmon you're going to love these Laura - promise !!!
      Thanks so much about Evan - he just about melts my heart in half - holding him helps with the Soda issue - a lot............
      And I feel guilty saying that.
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. I love salmon cakes. They are my backup for a quick meal but I never thought of putting mashes potatoes in them. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo