Monday, January 23, 2012

Catch a falling star.................

This piece was a nightmare, really, worse than Freddy,
I started with this




after
                                                                             

The veneer was very damaged - so I decided I would just peel the bad areas away and use wood filler -
Bad idea - it ended up looking like " good old rocky top " so I sat and stewed ( and stewed and sat )
and realized I had no choice but to remove the veneer entirely.  Keeping in mind that I have never done this before but it looks sooooo easy when you see tutorials on line - and away we go


this is not easy - even though I steamed it with an iron -
I was starting to lose my mind around this time
 an old world map of dresser hell
keep in mind please that this is the entrance way to my house - the only place I have 2 square spare feet to work
wow - all the veneer is off - guess what? so are big chunks of the wood underneath

had a sheet of " drawer bottoms " and had John cut a size to fit on top

and clamped it, lol


until it finally looked like this




 

painted interior drawers

decisions decisions decisions - glass or wood?  I know the glass gives it glam and a little glitz but the wood looks so authentic - soooooo, will sell this piece with options, glass handles will be extra dollars - because they are expensive!


pretty color, isn't it?



one last before

and one last after


This piece was a lot more work than usual - I had to replace the drawer bottoms - remove veneer - patch the sides with wood filler - and I added wood trim to the top - not only for decorative purposes but also to help secure the veneer
I replaced on the top.
It was worth every moment!

In case anyone is interested the colors are
BEHR Botticelli Angel and Ultra White
I used a flat finish because it was waxed for protection also.


Linking up ( I think, lol - still haven't figured out that process entirely )
to Better After - Debbie Doos  Miss Mustard Seed and French Country Cottage

xxx

7 comments:

  1. I love it. It's so girly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I laughed out loud at least three times while reading this... I have a buffet beast on my blog that was a similar story - but the fact you were using your entry way as workshop just speaks to my heart... Thanks!! And LOVELY work, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute- love how it came out- well done! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job...I love the color. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out lovely! The colors are perfect too-Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday! Hope to see you again at this weeks party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness!! Saw this on MMS and HOLY COW another reason why veneer is so annoying! Your patience definitely paid off! It looks fantastic!!!

    xoxo, Mallory @ Classy Clutter

    Stop by for a visit! www.classyclutter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo